fashion stylists home about services press contact Image Map

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Andy's Hair Hints

While I may be a superstar stylist with a wonderfully vast knowledge of accessories and the like. I will hold my hands up and say that when it comes to hair I don't have a clue.  My styling repertoire includes holding the hairdryer in my hand whilst briskly moving it back and forth, a topknot and if I'm feeling fancy a mildly sleek side parting.  That is why I have asked my dear friend and the man who makes my own hair look so naturally lush Andrew Cronin to contribute a little hair segment once a month with lots of tips and ideas for those of us who maybe lack a bit of hair creativity.

This month Andrew shows us how to do one of my fav hair looks the FISHTAIL BRAID.....

Hi, I'm andy! I'm a senior stylist in the Edge Hair Design in Cork. I am the only Loreal professional hair care expert in Munster , I have numerous hair qualifications including Vidal Sasson certified stylist and a Great Lengths certified stylist!
I love everything about hair, long , short , colour and styling!




































To get the perfect fishbone braid I prefer to start with natural hair texture by just blast drying hair with very little product.


Divide your hair into two large sections, parting straight down the middle. For a sharper look, you can use a comb to part your hair evenly. If you'd prefer the tousled Katniss Everdeen (from The Hunger Games) look, though, simply part it with your hands.






































Pull a thin strand of hair from the outside of the left section. Pull it over the top of the left section, and grasp it under the right section. In other words, the strand of hair has gone over the left section and finishes under the right section.




































In general, try to use the same thickness for each strand throughout or your braid will look uneven.
For a more intricate braid, use skinnier strands. It takes more effort, but it looks gorgeous. Using skinnier strands is very lovely.
For a beginner, pulling it tighter helps you to learn the method properly.






































Repeat on the right side. Pull a skinny strand of hair from the outside of the right section, pull it over the right section, then weave it under the left section.





































Tie off the end with a hair bobble or elastic. Add a cute ribbon, barrette or charm to give it some personality if you'd like!




If you feel that the fishtail is too tight, use your fingers to gently massage into the strands a little to loosen it slightly.
If your hair is really long, more can be done at this stage, such as tucking the hair into a bun, weaving it around your head or across the front, etc. If you have slightly shorter hair, just fishtail it as far as you want.


Some celebs rocking a fishtail braid.....









































Et Voila!!

Hope everyone is inspired to do some braiding, would love to see how people get on following Andrews easy to follow steps.  I shall let you know how my own attempts go.

Toodles,

T,x.

No comments:

Post a Comment